Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Adam P. Hayward - "Why It No Longer Matters to Me Whether or Not the Mets Win the World Series in 7."

1986
October 26th
1:23 A.M.
The New York Mets have just finished showing me
The meaning of Life.
It actually was there for an instant -
Something I experienced after dropping to my knees:
THE FIGHT! THE FIGHT!
I then ran outside the house
and screamed and screamed.
I screamed at the trees
I screamed at the night
I screamed at the Whole Freaking Thing.
I once was in a shower
Water beating against my head
And I shut my eyes
While washing shampoo from my hair.
And in that Darkness
I was afraid;
Afraid to open my eyes
Because I thought
That when I did,
Everything would remain black.

Tonight,
Saturday night,
When the Mets came from behind to win.
I remembered for an instant
Opening my eyes in that damned shower.
2:10 A.M.
I can now set my clock back an hour and get some rest.


Baseball I Gave You All the Best Years of My Life

No comments:

Post a Comment