Wednesday, April 4, 2012

Robin Rule - "2nd Inning"

When I graduated from 6th grade
I wore a white summer dress
that had no mink oil stains on it
The neighborhood con man promised the next week
to take my girlfriend Shannon and me
to the clubhouse to lunch with the Angels
before the game

I got up early
ate breakfast in my slip
got dressed in the white with the matching sandals
and stood at the curb
tossing a ball loosely from hand to glove
for hours waiting for the sonofabitch

In Anaheim
twilight hits late in the summer
My mother didn't start dinned
until it cooled down in the kitchen
I came in finally
turned the last two innings on the radio
set the table
and threw the dress deep into right field



2011 August: "1st Inning, Glove Minus Zero Equals No Limit"

Baseball I Gave You All the Best Years of My Life

No comments:

Post a Comment