Saturday, October 22, 2011

Lance Richbourg


Untitled, 1978, Oil on canvas
Lance Richbourg: "I was the batboy and swept out the wooden bandbox stadium after home games. Those who care about baseball may be relieved to hear that I now enjoy watching baseball. I've come to learn about the game from doing the paintings. I would debate anyone that baseball is far superior to any other sport in terms of its beauty, intricacy, the broad range of skills required to play it, and because of its clarity and its subversion of time. As an artist, I have been satisfied with the formal possibilities of depicting the light and space of the playing field and the variety and grace of player movements amidst explosive action."
OK Harris, Poetry Foundation: "To Infuse (As Life) By Breathing" by Elaine Segal, Field Studies: Lance Richbourg's Baseball Paintings Hit Home, SEVEN DAYS: Blonde Ambition, Posterunlimited

No comments:

Post a Comment