Saturday, April 24, 2010

David Dixon Margolis - "The Back Of Chuck Hiller's Card"

Slugged first grand slam
by an NL player
in World Series history
in 1962.
(Of all guys.)
In '67, led league in pinch hits.
First guy I ever knew of
that I would describe
as horse-faced.
Big prominent nostrils
that scared me a bit.
Acquired from Giants to fill gap
left by Ron Hunt,
who suffered
a separated shoulder
in collision with Cards' Phil Gagliano.
We never forgave Gagliano for that,
my brother and I.
Never.
Not even now.
Hiller was like your stepfather.
It wasn't his fault he was there,
but he was a daily reminder
of what you were missing,
what you really wanted.
Slugged first grand slam
by an NL player
in World Series history
in 1962.
And they can never take that away from him.
That or the horse-faced thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment