Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Karen Zaborowski - "World Series, Game 5"

Even God, I think, is here,
so high up in the stands
with my ten-year-old daughter and me
we can almost touch the X
from Schmidty's old home run,
probably the two worst seats at the Vet
but right where the whole world
wants to be.
I let her drink real Coke,
eat Milky Ways and dance with stangers
at 11:30 on a school night and still
ninety minutes from home.
The Philles and we are in control.
For now, the world has stopped worrying
about players who might be traded,
moods that might swing and miss.
There are no thoughts about new uniforms
and the boys who will wear them.
Tonight she is here and finds it easy
to love me for this end-of-season
home game.
We are those jumping red dots
in the center of the universe, my daughter
and me and a baseball game
that is perfect and no more meaningless
than anything else.


Line Drives

No comments:

Post a Comment